Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Here's to the Girls

I have found myself discouraged many times in life by the simple fact that guys aren't as emotional as girls. I'm not talking about the crying for no reason because it's "that time of the month" or getting sappy after watching a chick flick...I'm talking about feelings and matters of the heart.


Unlike men, women tell each other EVERYTHING...for the most part at least. My roommate knows every detail of everything I ever do, I don't think I ever miss a beat. It's not because she really cares that much, but she listens and that is all we ever really want from our girlfriends. We need someone to vent to, someone to back us up, and someone to tell us that we really aren't stupid because we cried over nothing.


The one subject I believe every girl needs to vent about: guys. I was recently reminded about this after a simple happy hour conversation turned into every girl trading stories about their past love lives gone bad. If we collectively put them all together, we could write a book of horrors no one could ever come up with on their own!


This is why girls have that bond that no guy ever seems to understand. I mean, we could tell our male friends about the heartbreak that turned our worlds upside down, but let's be honest...they will just tell us to suck it up and go find someone else.


So recently, I have found that I'm often the go-to girl in the venting department of relationships gone bad. Let's face it, I think they know I've been through the trenches on that one! There was a point in my life last year when everything seemed to be going the exact opposite direction I wanted it to go. I graduated from college and had all these life plans and in an instant, they all went to heck! It hurt so bad that at times, I felt like my heart was physically in pain. I couldn't eat or even think sometimes. For a couple of weeks, I think I just simply existed.


Okay so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice. After all, I am still in the not so fun stage of life called twenty-something singleness. At times, it sucks. I get frustrated. I get mad. I swear I am never again going to talk to that guy ever again! I swear I'm not going to answer the phone call from the other guy because he made plans with me and then stood me up for the third time in a row! The thing is, now I know that I will be okay. I know that life goes on and that jerk that fell off the face of the earth wasn't worth it anyways. The human heart is resilient. It can be bruised but cannot physically break.


When you get wrapped up in someone in heart, mind, and soul, you loose something very important...yourself. That is something that I find a little bit more of every day and I am thankful for that realization. Girls are complicated creatures. We settle, we give up, we break down...all because of that little emotion that makes us feel worthwhile. Through all of my life lessons learned the hard way, I still have hope and faith in that crazy little thing called love. I still believe in it. I believe that sometimes you might not always get what you want, but if you try you just might get what you need.


Stay strong girls, prince charming is out there somewhere!


Quote of the day: "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."

1 comment:

  1. I just read this.. and totally needed it. Thanks cole for being one of those girls I can vent to. Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete