Monday, November 16, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

A little over a year ago, I left the place I called home for four years and entered the world of the unknown. I was displaced and confused, lost in disappointment and uncertainty. I was a transplant in a strange place, not knowing what I was going to do or what was coming next.


As I've said before, NYC was a growing and learning experience for me. It was one of the best decisions I have made and I enjoyed all of the opportunities I was given because of it. I had the coolest job, awesome surroundings, and a renewed sense of self, but there was one thing that was missing. I was lonely and had NO friends!


It's hard to meet people in a city so large. When I opted to come back to Texas in January, I wasn't quite convinced of my decision. Still weary of what was to come, I packed up my car with all my belongings that would fit and went back to the only place I ever really thought of as home. I spent a few months in suburbia, grateful for having a friend that would let me stay with her but still unhappy and unsettled. It wasn't until my dear friend Amanda suggested we move to this little apartment complex called the Jefferson that I finally knew I made the right decision.




What a difference a year makes. Who knew that we would encounter such a great place to call our home. Yes, at times it is a love/hate relationship and yes, sometimes it seems like everyone knows a little TOO much about you, but all in all it's a fabulous little abode. I found a whole little family of sorts and I am absolutely having the time of my life. Sometimes it really feels like we are in an episode of Friends...or a lot of times Melrose Place!




So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am thankful this year for some very special people that I met who have made me realize that there's no place like home.





Top 10 reasons why I love living at the Jefferson (In no particular order):






1. If you need to borrow a pitcher/strainer/cup of sugar/something else random, someone is bound to have it!




2.Saturday pool parties in the summer




3.Late night (or maybe you would call it early morning) neighbor breakfasts after going out





4. Entertainment is always only a short walk downstairs/across the street




5. There are lots of different options of people to ponder/analyze your love life (or lack of) with and/or receive advice from




6. Unlike TCU, the guy/girl ratio is about 10,000 to 1...okay maybe 10:1





7. Daily email threads about randomness





8. I always have good stories to tell my coworkers to pass time





9. The "Sunday Position"





10. Awesome, fabulous friends





Quote of the day: "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." -George Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment