Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The X-File



Not too long ago, out of sheer and utter boredom, I was going through old pictures on my computer and found a folder labeled "MB" that I haven't opened in over a year. To be honest, I simply forgot about it. It got lost in the dozens of files and photos of life that has happened since then.

I will admit that I was a little nervous about opening it. I feared it would bring back a flood of emotions and memories that I wasn't so keen on recollecting. I remember the deep knot I felt in my stomach the day I put all of those pictures in that folder. . . I didn't want to bring that back.

To my relief and great satisfaction, I opened the folder and felt...well nothing! If you asked me to do the same thing last year at this time, I don't know if I would feel the same way. I clicked through two years of pictures one by one and had no inclination of sadness or bitterness. It might not seem like a big deal, but to me, it was victory.

It's not like I wasn't over it. . . I am and have been for a long time. I guess that it's just that I got a physical reminder that I have completely moved on with my life without a single emotional attachment toward this person who at one time made my world go round.

I held some bitterness toward him for a long time. While I will never understand the choices that he made that led to the death of our relationship, in hindsight I think it was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. It was hard for me to imagine at first how you could be so close to someone and see them every day to not knowing them at all. I know it's cliche but I do believe that everything really does happen for a reason. Not to be ugly or anything, but I thank God that it was her finger he put the ring on and not mine!!!

So wherever you are out there, good luck MB...wish you all the best.

Oh and in case you're wondering, I'm doing just fine!

Quote of the day: "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment